Sunday, August 1, 2010

How Now, Brown Cow?!

"I stop talking because i see in the outer reaches of the headlightes the thing that will shortly kill me.
Two cows stand oblivious in the highway. They come into veiw all at once, a spotted cow in the left lane, and in our land an immense creature, the entire width of our car, standing stock still, her head turned back as she appraises up with blank eyes. The cow is flawlessly whie a great white wall of cow that cannot be climbed or ducked of dodged. It can only be hit. I know that ben sees it, too, because I hear his breath stop." ~from Paper Towns by John Green.


We had an adventure yesterday, which reminded me of this part of one of my favorite books. Really, the only similarities were that there was livestock, and that they were on a road, and we were in a van. The livestock in question for us was not a great white wall of cow, but a great brown wall of bull.


They got loose from their ranch and the police and their owner were trying, with their cars, to herd them back into their home and off the road. I'm not sure if there was any danger to us, I mean, we were in a giant red van, and aren't bulls supposed to go for red? But they didn't look at us at all, and were finally successfully herded off the road and out of trouble.


Also, my family likes to say that they were not great white walls of cow, or great brown walls of bull, but...red bulls! :P

1 comment:

  1. aaah paper towns!! i need to read that book again soon!

    ReplyDelete